Taking TheLEED outlined some passive solar design ideas this week that are particularly feasible for Texas.
- Warmer climate and higher humidity make cooling more difficult to achieve.
- A long, narrow building with the longest sides facing south and north and minimum glazing on the east and west ends is optimal.
- Most glazing should be on the south side with overhangs.
- Use thermal mass materials for passive heating and shading for passive cooling.
- Highly reflective exterior surfaces direct much of the suns heat away from the structure.
- Use natural ventilation whenever possible.